Saturday, June 1, 2019

Book Review || Caraval by Stephanie Garber (loads of magical fun oooh I loved this one!)

Caraval 

by: Stephanie Garber

Rating: 4.5 stars

SummaryRemember, it’s only a game…

Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic. And whether Caraval is real or not, Scarlett must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over or a dangerous domino effect of consequences will be set off, and her beloved sister will disappear forever.

Welcome, welcome to Caraval…beware of getting swept too far away.

My Review:

   Y’all. Y’all. This book was like a whimsical magical devious ball of cotton candy on a stick!! It was sugary sweet with its descriptions and sticky and grimy with its devious plot twists. Reading this book was like taking a deep breath of fresh air... it felt great! I feel like I have been stuck in a warp where I just haven’t found a YA book that I just really loved or even liked for that matter which makes it all the better that I decided to pick up Caraval when I did.

“Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or performance. It's the closest you'll ever find yourself magic in this world.”

  The world building was quite unexpected. Coming into this book I expected a more one dimensional twisted carnival type of scenery but was pleasantly surprised by the rich colors and smells that described this fantasy land in a way that can only be reminiscent of the whimsys of a tale like Alice in Wonderland. I also quite enjoyed the main character Scarletts voice. I thought she was very strong and determined but not in a boring flat way. I also liked how she remained feminine and a bit unsure of herself at times I felt it made her character more realistic and made you want to route for her even in her darkest moments. 

 “What happens beyond this gate may frighten or excite you, but don’t let any of it trick you. We will try to convince you it’s real, but all of it is a performance. A world built of make-believe. So while we want you to get swept away, be careful of being swept too far away. Dreams that come true can be beautiful, but they can also turn into nightmares when people won’t wake up.” 

 That being said I also had a total soft spot for Julian. Julian is the sailor boy whose journey becomes intwined with that of Scarlett and her sister Tella. Both of which escape to Caraval in the hopes of fulfilling their childhood dreams and escaping their abusive father. Julian is not who I expected him to be and I quite enjoyed that little tid bit of surprise as well. I originally came into the book thinking he’d be the typical snarky women chasing scoundrel that could get away with all, simply by the power of his sexy smirk and dreamy eyes, but instead he ended up being much more intense and secretive. Of course the man was good looking (an essential if not overplayed element of a YA love interest) but he was also very mysterious and keep disappearing on Scarlett when I thought he would stay attached at her hip which only made the tales of Caraval that much more endearing. 

“She imagined loving him would feel like falling in love with darkness, frightening and consuming yet utterly beautiful when the stars came out.” 

 And my gosh the plot twists were never ending!! It was like I was falling into a rabbits hole of candy coated wonder and poisonous daggers. You never knew who to trust yet new characters where always thrown into the mix with tales of advice that either rang true or where trying to tear Scarlett into a totally disastrous situation! I did like how loyal Scarlett remained in her journey to rescue her sister Tella after she was taken and how no matter which direction her mind was taken too her thoughts never stayed too far from her mission to find her. 

“Scarlett was not fond of fate. She liked to believe if she were good, good things would happen. Fate left her feeling powerless, and hopeless, and with an overall feeling of lessness. To her, fate seemed like a larger, omnipotent version of her father, stealing her choices and controlling her life without any regard for her feelings. Fate meant that nothing she did mattered.”

 Legend, the organizer and owner of this dark twisted game, his tales continued to surprise me and every time I thought I figured out who he was and what angle he was playing at the plot would spiral into a completely different directions and oh boy I was endlessly entertained! This book was a fast read that kept me completely enthralled and I simply cannot wait to get my hands on Legendary (theres a certain tattooed dark and dangerous boy by the name of Dante whom I would love to get to know a little better...) Great YA read with a lot of classic YA elements but is not boring in the slightest and will not have you bored a single moment! Highly recommend this book to readers in look a just a good solid YA book flooded with plot twists and intrigue!

“I think I've made a mistake.'
'Then make it into something better.” 

So what do y’all think? Wanna give this read a go? Read it already? Tell me your thoughts in the comments below!
-BubblyBooks
 




4 comments:

  1. I agree that the worldbuilding in this book is so unique and the twists are incredible. Hope you love the next book just as much!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on reading Legendary next! and yess the world building just kept me guessing the whole time!

      Delete
  2. You make me want to go back and reread this one, Jamie! Lovely review. :) There were certainly some amazing plot twists. Can't wait to see your thoughts on Legendary! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I enjoyed it a lot! Very magical and I loved all the unpredictable elements! Currently reading Legendary rn ;) Thanks for stopping by Mandy!

      Delete

I’ve Switched to Wordpress! || Ft. the link to my new blog and my many thanks to the blogging community thus far!!

Hi there! After almost three years with Blogger I’ve decided to finally make the switch to Wordpress! While I’ve enjoyed using blogger as a ...

Bloggers comment back

Bloggers Commenting Back