Saturday, August 31, 2019

Book Review || Aphrodite Made Me Do It by Trista Mateer (A powerful collection of love poems!) (Also my first poetry filled book!!)


Aphrodite Made Me Do It

By: Trista Mateer

Rating: 4/5 stars

Published on: October 1st 2019

Summary: Bestselling and award-winning author Trista Mateer takes an imaginative approach to self-care in this new poetry and prose collection, Aphrodite Made Me Do It. In this empowering retelling, she uses the mythology of the goddess to weave a common thread through the past and present.By the end of this book, Aphrodite make you believe in the possibility of your own healing.


My Review:

  Wow guys. This was my first FULL poetry book I’ve ever read and I have to say it was quite an interesting experience.

  I’ve never read a book that consisted only on storytelling through poem but found that I did not in fact hate it or even dislike it (like I very much feared I would).

 This book is not the soft, lovey dovey romance poems you would expect when you think of love poems. Instead Mateer focuses on much more powerful stories of overcoming abuse, learning to love your body, and overall becoming happier and healthier.

 Her focus on ones well being is both inspiring and very powerful. Her word choices and phrases are very bold and occasionally not for the faint of heart but thats what makes them so very powerful. I feel some of the things addressed in these poems is just what certain readers may have not known they needed to hear. Mateer's poems truly hold the power to influence and help others in their lives and how they view themselves.

 I also really enjoyed that pictures were included for every poem. Some were placed throughout and some were the cover image for the individual poem. I also enjoyed the way Mateer tied in Aphrodite's story and connected her points and beliefs through the narrative voice of the goddess of love and how her reputation came about.

 Overall a very intriguing powerful short collection of love poems that go against the traditional norm. Recommend for readers who enjoy poetry books or our looking to read some powerful poems about love and strength.

 **Triggers and warnings**

- rape/ sexual abuse

**Thanks so much Netgalley and Central Avenue Publishing for an advanced copy of this book. This has in no way affected my thoughts and options and all thoughts are my own** 

What do you guys think? Ever read a poetry book before? Willing to give this one a try? LMK in the comments below!
-BubblyBooks

4 comments:

  1. Can you believe that I have NEVER read a poetry book? I have always wanted to, though, but never gotten around to it. Thank you so much for the recommendation because this sounds awesome and now I know where to start. And powerful stories rather than soft love poems is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear I’m not the only one! This one was very powerful so I highly recommend as an impactful start to poetry reading! Especially if you prefer powerful love poems over soft. Happy reading :)

      Delete
  2. With the exception of the poetry I read in school (it depends if you count that lol), this is my first poetry book too!

    And yeah, like you said, it was an interesting experience! But, of course, an enjoyable one. I like the different layouts, the pace and how (especially in this book) how illustrations were included!

    Have you got any other poetry recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the pictures were one of the best parts!! The layout was also very cool... hmmm I haven’t read any other poetry books but I hear good things about Milk and Honey another really popular poetry book! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

I’ve Switched to Wordpress! || Ft. the link to my new blog and my many thanks to the blogging community thus far!!

Hi there! After almost three years with Blogger I’ve decided to finally make the switch to Wordpress! While I’ve enjoyed using blogger as a ...

Bloggers comment back

Bloggers Commenting Back