Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Best Books I've Read So Far Continued


The Winners Curse series
By: Marie Rutkoski

Summary: Winning what you want may cost you everything you love... 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.
 


All three beautiful books in the series:

(I personally like these covers so much better than the knew ones that just came out. There just so much prettier! Look at the dresses! Beautiful!) 

  This book series literally blew my mind! I loved it so much that when I think back on it I smile. I mean how could you not love these books! They are straight up magical. Lets begin with the amazing world building, the story takes place in a mythical country where slavery is still very much alive and well and Kestrel is the daughter of a very wealthy military general. The plot thickens when Kestrel is at a slave auction and meets Arin for the first time. She ends up taking an interest in him because he's rumored to be a beautiful singer but when she asks him about it he promptly denies having a musical ability whatsoever. The relationship that develops between the two is achingly painful, yet tenderly beautiful. Their love is forbidden (which sounds cliche but is actually pulled of tastefully and in a way that gives you all the feels. I seriously could have cried during these books) (sometimes just out of pure frustration!) and I could not tear myself from the pages with the aching way the author described Kestrels past and her fantastic piano playing. This book made me want to listen to classical music stat! Also theres the whole dilemma with political drama between Arin's race and Kestrels race, which leads to many riots and political mind games (many of which Kestrel is the victim of). Kestrel also is forced to train to fight every day of her life. Her father is a military general and as is his way, but Kestrel isn't a fighter at heart and this leads to even more deceptions of her life. I seriously cannot stress to you enough how much I love this book! The layers of complexity is just mind bubbling! You will not expect the plots twists that are to come my friends! (the second book nearly destroyed me on numerous occasions...) Please, please read this seres it is a hidden gem! 

Kiss of Deception series
By: Mary E. Pearson

Summary: A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.


All the Remnant Chronicles books: 


  This series is seriously everything I love about reading bundled all together in a pretty little package! Theres a mythical fantasy world, secret princes, a dark empire threatening to destroy the world, and old dark magic looming beneath all the chaos. Seriously how could I not be obsessed! This book starts out in a seriously cool way because it switches point of view between the three main characters, Lia (who I LOVE because her spunky spirt it amazing!), the Assassin, and the Prince. The catch is that the author doesn't reveal who the prince or the assassin is until the final few chapters of the book, but rather introduces you to two men and has you guessing throughout the book who is who. I've never read a books written like that and it was SO intriguing and mysterious and I loved it. There was world building in this series as well and it was... AMAZING! Not quite as unique or politically puzzling as the Winners Curse series but equally beautiful and described in a way as if you felt you were the there. These books were amazing because they weren't afraid to describe the gruesome or the nitty gritty of their lives. There were times of survival that were equally nail bitting, yet heartbreaking at the same time. The way the characters look after one another is achingly tender, yet tainted with the threat of them turning on one another which constantly keeps you on your toes! 
  I mean this book started with a princess running away from her wedding so I'd say it was written for me! Plus there was a prophecy and intricate tattoos involved ,which is also like a huge draw for me! These books only get better as you keep reading them so please hold out until the end! (the last book is just as fabulous as the rest). I have to admit there is a lot of subtly and slow suspicion in theses books (as well as in the winners curse now that I think about it) which I personally love because I think it allows for the readers to really get to know the characters internal struggles. There was also some political games in this series, especially in the second book (the Heart of Betrayal) where  some heated political arguments take place, and Lia is strong and as fierce as ever! Seriously recommend this series if you haven't read it PLEASE do! It is a must read for anyone looking for novels with a world that will haunt your mind for days, even weeks after!

 Overall both these books have very strong female lead characters that are tied in some very complicated relationships with some very unexpected people. Both have to fight through the impossible and use their problem solving skills in order to accommodate a very politically complex and demanding worlds. Visually stunning, incredibly unique, both series will keep you entertained for days on end! Highly recommend both equally as they are some of the best books I have ever read! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to hear you loved the Winner's series so much! I only read the first two books for now and have to admit, I had a bit of a hard time getting into it, at first. I'm eager to see how it all ends, though, and these covers are gorgeous, that's for sure! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Winners series is a bit intense for most (and the second book almost made want to give up on the series because it broke my heart so much!) but the last book is worth all the heartbreak. Also I could look at the covers for days! I want those dresses! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you like The Winner's Trilogy! I honestly really enjoyed every single book in that series. And totally agree that the dress covers are prettier than the newer ones. I guess the new ones give a different side to the story as they are not really dress-type books but still. I will always go for pretty dresses on book covers, haha. I actually really want a book (or several) from the POV of Roshar. I absolutely adored him and I totally think there is a story to tell for him!

    The other series is one I have not really heard much about. Another blogger read it this year and I remember being interested in it. But all the things you mentioned here are things I love to see in books. So I am hoping to find a copy at the library! I think I will really enjoy it, so thank you for the recommendation :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A series from Roshar's perspective would be really interesting now that I think about it. Also the Kiss of Deception is a great series and I strongly recommend you give it a chance! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

I’ve Switched to Wordpress! || Ft. the link to my new blog and my many thanks to the blogging community thus far!!

Hi there! After almost three years with Blogger I’ve decided to finally make the switch to Wordpress! While I’ve enjoyed using blogger as a ...

Bloggers comment back

Bloggers Commenting Back