Sunday, July 8, 2018

Book Review: Song of Blood and Stone by L. Penelope (my first physical ARC review *squeals*)

 Hello everybody! Hows your Sunday going? I hope your weekend was filled with lots of reading (or in my case adding book compulsively to your TBR based strictly on how beautiful the cover is. I swear every time I see a new book that has a nice cover I’m like “ooh pretty... I must have it.”)

 Any who super excited to be reviewing my first physical ARC for y’all on this fine Sunday evening ;) I don’t know if you can tell but I am internally screaming because I am so excited about this you guys!! Yay my first physical ARC!! *jumps up and down- additional squealing*

Song of Blood and Stone

by L.Penelope

Rating: 3/5 stars

Published on: May 1st 2018

 Summary: A treacherous, thrilling, epic fantasy about an outcast drawn into a war between two powerful rulers. 

Orphaned and alone, Jasminda lives in a land where cold whispers of invasion and war linger on the wind. Jasminda herself is an outcast in her homeland of Elsira, where her gift of Earthsong is feared. When ruthless soldiers seek refuge in her isolated cabin, they bring with them a captive--an injured spy who threatens to steal her heart. 

Jack's mission behind enemy lines to prove that the Mantle between Elsira and Lagamiri is about to fall nearly cost him his life, but he is saved by the healing Song of a mysterious young woman. Now he must do whatever it takes to save Elsira and it's people from the True Father and he needs Jasminda's Earthsong to do it. They escape their ruthless captors and together they embark on a perilous journey to save Elsira and to uncover the secrets of The Queen Who Sleeps. 

Thrust into a hostile society, Jasminda and Jack must rely on one another even as secrets jeopardize their bond. As an ancient evil gains power, Jasminda races to unlock a mystery that promises salvation. 
The fates of two nations hang in the balance as Jasminda and Jack must choose between love and duty to fulfill their destinies and end the war.   


A huge thanks to St.Martins Press for an advanced copy of this book!! 

This book was a cute little fantasy-action book that I very much enjoyed devouring. It was light enough that I wasn’t extremely stressed out (which was a WELCOME relief because the books I’ve been reading lately have been beyond stressful- I don’t know why authors insist on giving me heart attacks every time I turn a page. I will not tolerate the death of any of my favorite characters! The pain is just too much to bear *sighs dramatically*) Thankfully I did not have that problem with this book, in fact it was the perfect mix of being just interesting enough that I could not stop reading it!

 The world building was quite unique (I really enjoyed the dynamics of Jasminda struggling to be accepted by her homeland as well as the magic mixed in) I mean any books with fabulous magic in it is an automatic WIN in my book (hehe). I thought the idea of Earthsong was really unique and intriguing which I appreciated (I like my book with a little uniqueness sprinkled in there) but the part for me that really stole the show for this book had to be...

 Jasminda and Jack!!! I mean I am a complete and utter lush for any type of romance or relationship in books (especially in YA I am trash for my favorite fictional couples ;) and there was definitely some insta-love going on when it came to these too...



 I mean they had some of my favorite character bonding scenes where one of them is injured and the other has to take care of them (*swoon*) I am such a sucker for those types of things!! Plus Jack was cute and sweet, and a tad smirky at times (not that I’m complaining I love a guy thats got a good smirk) The two of them were so light and enjoyable to read and I loved how their journeys where entwined and how they relied on one another to survive (nothing bonds two people together faster than a near death experience)

However a part of me thought the romance moved a little too quickly... like both Jasminda (love that name) and Jack just fell in love *snaps fingers* and it was perfect and other worldly and all that, but a part of me just could. Not. Connect. with how quickly it all happened. Jack (the cutie that he is) was a little too quick to be witty at parts and a little too kind in other parts?!? I would have preferred him to have a little more flaws just to give his character an extra layer of depth, but other than that it was an enjoyable romance to read!

Overall this book was a really fun read that was just different enough to keep me entertained! I highly recommend to those needing a good entertaining book filled with adventure and unique character traits (ooh plus totally fun magicalness!!)

What about you? Have you read Song of Blood and Stone? If so what did you think? If not have you read any adventure filled YA books lately? What about magic filled? Let me know in the comments below!
-BubblyBooks

4 comments:

  1. That first physical ARC is the BEST. So so so happy for you - and such a beautiful cover, too! And wonderful review, Jamie! Super glad you enjoyed it for the most part and it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It is SUPER exciting and isn’t the cover gorgeous *heart eyes* Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. So excited for you and your first physical ARC!!!! ♥ Also those have-to-take-care-of-the-other romance plotlines are the absolute best! I can't help but internally fangirl with those. So glad you mostly enjoyed this one!

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO much fan girling when it comes to those scenes!! I never get tired of them. Thank you!!

      Delete

I’ve Switched to Wordpress! || Ft. the link to my new blog and my many thanks to the blogging community thus far!!

Hi there! After almost three years with Blogger I’ve decided to finally make the switch to Wordpress! While I’ve enjoyed using blogger as a ...

Bloggers comment back

Bloggers Commenting Back