Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Discussion Post: Why does YA not write Rom-coms anymore?




So here I was sitting on the couch scrolling through GoodReads like any good bookworm knows and a thought occurred to me that for some reason was quite shocking...

 There are like no rom-coms in YA anymore?!?!




 As you can imagine this came as quite a shock to me being the obsessive romance reader I am and I came to wonder why don’t we have as many light romance reads anymore?


It seems like just yesterday all that YA consisted of was Sarah Dessen and the Pretty Little Liars series (both of which I read... gave up on PLL on book 6 or something like that) now every time I see a new YA book out for release its either lacks romance all together or is a very intense romance that literally sucks the soul out of you (not that I don’t love those but sometimes my little heart needs a break)

Any who I have a few questions on the matter...

Why are female characters never girlie anymore?

 I get it in some books girls need to kick ass and I LOVE when girls can kick some serious butt and be amazing and all that but how come girls can’t kick butt and still care about girly things like clothes, or sparkly unicorns? Also how come in order to be tuff girls in books- such as YA fantasy- can’t ever be sensitive or cry and instead shove it all deep down inside?!? You can still be tuff and be vulnerable!!! In fact I think that makes a character more complete because there’re just more real when they leave it all out there!


What happened to all the fluffy little gumdrops of books that used to make me laugh and smile in delight? Because lately its as if they all disappeared!?!

 It seems to me that all the books I have picked up that are YA seem to be revolving around some all or nothing world saving, earth shattering plot line where the fate of everything quite literally rests upon a seventeen year old girl.... and I’m over here trying to figure out how to not burn toast or dye of heat stroke? Like nope can’t relate. Don’t get me wrong I can see the appeal of this plot. Their problems are not my problems and the need to escape into a fabulous magical world and all but sometimes I just want to laugh at something so utterly hilarious because it literally could be my life, and I’m just not finding that in a lot of todays YA.


Are people truly tired of this genre? because I could definitely use some more of it...

 It saddens me to think that todays audience might not appreciate or even want a Rom-com anymore... because I believe it is an essential part of the YA reading experience! After you read an intense Fantasy or contemporary and you just want a book that makes you feel good thats when you reach for the fluffy, completely unrealistic romantic comedy at the bottom of your pile of books!! Regardless of what some people may deem as unnecessary in todays Young Adult I believe there is still an audience for these books and that we need more of them!



Examples of books that I think portray a beautifully nice modern YA rom-com:


    














Not that I don’t LOVE some of the YA currently out there (believe me there is some AMAZING stuff out there that I will literally scream at you to read- I’m looking at you Cruel Prince) for example:

(if your looking for some good non rom-com examples)


        

Rom-com like reads coming out this year that I am super psyched for: 


Anyways what are your guys thoughts? Do you think YA should have more rom-coms or are you burnt out on the subject? Let me know in the comments below I’m curious to see what you guys think!
-BubblyBooks 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting discussion post, Jamie! I absolutely adore YA rom-coms. It was one of the genres in YA that I really started with, and I just immediately fell in deep with them. I want books that make me feel good - and funnies and fluffy romance are it. I feel like I have seen a few come out recently, but I have to say that it is a bit harder to find than it really used to be. I mean, I could go entire months just reading YA rom-coms back when Dessen was at her height and now it's a bit hard to find them. I love me some deep, emotionally punched contemporaries, but I need a good bit of cheese every once in a while. Anything by Stephanie Kate Strohm will totally fit your rom-com void! ;) Wonderful post, Jamie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I also enjoy books that make me feel good especially after I read an emotionally draining book! It’s definitely harder to find more fluffy books nowadays but I still really enjoy them! I’ll have to look up Stephanie Strohm and see whats she’s wrote- thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. As someone who used to read Sarah Dessen and Meg Cabot books like I eat potato chips, I can DEFINITELY appreciate this post and you're so right! I've never really thought about it until now, but YA books are really swinging towards the epic fantasy these days. I guess I haven't noticed because I'm obsessed with fantasy books, but I'm with you. I'd really like to see more light rom-com stuff too. These days it feels like my only options are epic fantasies or trashy romances (both of which I love, but still...). I also agree with what you said about female protagonists! Part of what I love about Celaena Sardothian is that she can kick ass AND be girly, but girls don't always have to be tough. Just because a girl can't take a guy down with a roundhouse kick doesn't make her any less awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! So glad you agree!! I’ve been thinking about this for awhile and thought well why not put my thoughts out there in a post?!? I also was a Sarah Dessen fan back in the day... her books were some of the first I ever read and really made me fall in love with reading which is why I think we need more Rom-Com’s!! and they don’t have to be like the older style of rom-coms I am totally open to new books (as long as there tons of witty banter and jokes bc that is a MUST in all romcoms) I’m definitely on the same page as you- I LOVE epic fantasy and trashy romance I’m just saying it wouldn’t be a bad thing to have some more Rom-Com books lying around... thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Wow... It's been a while since a came across such an accurate and relevant post. Excellent post from a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Sometimes I still notice a gap of more traditional YA rom coms that take place on summer vaca or school! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

      Delete

I’ve Switched to Wordpress! || Ft. the link to my new blog and my many thanks to the blogging community thus far!!

Hi there! After almost three years with Blogger I’ve decided to finally make the switch to Wordpress! While I’ve enjoyed using blogger as a ...

Bloggers comment back

Bloggers Commenting Back