Sunday, November 25, 2018

ARC Review: Slayer by Kiersten White (got a physical ARC *screaming*!!)


Slayer 

 By Kiersten White

Rating: 4/5 stars

Released on: January 8th 2019

**A huge thanks to Simon Pulse publications for an advanced copy of this book! This has in no way affected my opinion on the book and all thoughts are my own**


                                   


 Summary: Into every generation a Slayer is born…

Nina and her twin sister, Artemis, are far from normal. It’s hard to be when you grow up at the Watcher’s Academy, which is a bit different from your average boarding school. Here teens are trained as guides for Slayers—girls gifted with supernatural strength to fight the forces of darkness. But while Nina’s mother is a prominent member of the Watcher’s Council, Nina has never embraced the violent Watcher lifestyle. Instead she follows her instincts to heal, carving out a place for herself as the school medic.

Until the day Nina’s life changes forever.

Thanks to Buffy, the famous (and infamous) Slayer that Nina’s father died protecting, Nina is not only the newest Chosen One—she’s the last Slayer, ever. Period.

As Nina hones her skills with her Watcher-in-training, Leo, there’s plenty to keep her occupied: a monster fighting ring, a demon who eats happiness, a shadowy figure that keeps popping up in Nina’s dreams…

But it’s not until bodies start turning up that Nina’s new powers will truly be tested—because someone she loves might be next.

One thing is clear: Being Chosen is easy. Making choices is hard.

Review: 

This book was MUCH better than I expected it to be! I forgot how much I enjoyed Kiersten Whites writing (after all Paranormalcy was one of my favorite books a few years back) Like I completely forgot how much I enjoy a good paranormal read!!

 Slayer is a book revolving around two twin sisters Nina and Artemis and for once in my life I feel an author really nailed what it is like to be a twin! The two sisters would sacrifice anything for one another but at the same time all they craved was a sense of normalcy amongst all the craziness. They both struggle with the problems that arise from their distant, and secret keeping mother while trying to balance secrets of their own. The love between them is so real and well developed that I have to pat Kiersten White on the back! Finally a family dynamic that doesn’t take the backseat to romance in YA!!

 Speaking of romance this book was full of diverse relationships and to be honest I loved all of them!! The little romantic in me was squealing with joy and my heart was a little ball of mush the entire time!!



 First off Rhys who is training to be the next watcher and is very quick with the demon knowledge has a cutesie little relationship with Cillian and they are ADORABLE! Their love for each other is full of protectiveness and quick wit and ahh I love both of them separately but together they are MAGIC!

 Also I was kinda digging the spice they made happen between Artemis and Honora. I thought I was not going to be about it but it actually was pretty spicy and heartwarming and a great f/f romance to throw into the mix!


 Ok lets talk about Leo. I like Leo. I think he is a solid dude and definitely adds some predictable yet necessary spice to the plot of this book. Leo Silvera is the son of Eve Silvera and comes back after the seed of magic has been destroyed and all magic is swept away from the world. He and is mother are thought to be dead so it is quite and surprise when hey what do you know their both alive?!? Things definitely get interesting with Leo towards the end which I LOVED finally some good plot twists I did not see coming. Absolutely loving it!!

 Also I loved all the kick butt fighting scenes in this book! I also loved how it was unique because it wasn’t always the tuff I’ve trained all my life for this kind of fights scenes but rather the I don't want to hurt anybody I’m a healer what is going on fight scenes. Nina is absolutely adorable I easily feel in love with her character because I thought she was so relatable and had classic YA teen humor that reminded me a little of Rose from Vampire Academy (which is a fabulous series that I LOVED actually this whole book reminds me a little of this book which is GREAT) Her character growth is super easy to get sucked into and I was loving it the whole time!

Overall this book was everything I love about YA! It had the fun supernatural action scenes, the cute character banter and relationships, the plot twists I actually did not see coming which was refreshing! God I wish I had the next book already! Great read and highly recommend to lovers of Kiersten Whites previous books as well as lovers of a good YA supernatural read!!

What about you guys?? Does Slayer look like a book to add to your TBR? A fan of Kiersten White? Also should I read And I Darken? LMK in the comments below!
-BubblyBooks
 

   

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh this was great, Jamie! I love reading your review. As I said in my previous comment, I didn't feel super sold by the summary, but I do think your review got me. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The summary can be a bit misleading and I admit I was feeling a bit meh as well.... but I actually really liked it?!? I thought it was refreshing and with all the modern little twists on classic 2012 paranormal YA. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

I’ve Switched to Wordpress! || Ft. the link to my new blog and my many thanks to the blogging community thus far!!

Hi there! After almost three years with Blogger I’ve decided to finally make the switch to Wordpress! While I’ve enjoyed using blogger as a ...

Bloggers comment back

Bloggers Commenting Back