Monday, July 8, 2019

Book Review || The Art of Breaking Things by Laura Sibson


The Art of Breaking Things

by: Laura Sibson

Published on: June 18th 2019

Rating: 5/5 Stars

 SummaryIn the tradition of Laurie Halse Anderson and Sara Zarr, one girl embraces the power of her voice: rules are meant to be broken and she won’t stay silent.

Seventeen-year-old Skye has her sights set on one thing: getting the heck out of Dodge. Art school is her ticket out and she’s already been accepted to her first choice, MICA. All she has to do is survive her senior year, not get too drunk at parties, and be there for her little sister, Emma. Sure, she’s usually battling a hangover when she drives to pick Emma up, but she has everything under control. Until he returns.

When her mom’s ex-boyfriend slithers his way back into her family, it’s all Skye can do to keep the walls of her world from crumbling. Her family has no idea Skye has been guarding a dark secret about her past–about him–and she never thought she would have to face him again. She knows she has to get away from him at all costs. But how can she abandon Emma? Skye’s heart is torn between escaping the man who hurt her years ago and protecting her loved ones from the monster in their midst. Running away from her fears isn’t an option. To save her sister–and herself–she’ll have to break all the rules.

My Review: 

Wow. You guys, this book was incredible. Like hit me right in my feels, tore me apart, made. me. feel. everything. 

 This book was like an arrow piercing your chest and inching closer and closer to your heart with each inhale!! It was so painful and yet you couldn’t stop reading just like you have to take your next breath! 

 At first I wasn’t sure if this book would be my cup of tea because I don't typically gravitate towards contemporary... and if I’m completely honest the cover sort of was a turn off for me as well?!? But the summary had me completely hooked (I mean dark secrets, protecting her family, dreams at stake!! I need to read this ASAP!!) 

 But I am sooo glad I did!! This book was beautiful because not only did it tackle dark issues, but it wove them so beautifully into the story! It didn’t take away from the beauty of the characters and it didn’t make it too picture perfect or the perfect ending. The author did not force the characters from being morally grey to “finding the light” and completely turning their life around which I apperceived because I felt it made the book more raw. 

 The voice of the narrater, Skye, was fresh and youthful. I felt like the author really did her research because the voices of the characters, especially Skye and Luisa, felt straight out of a high school in 2019. I also adored Skyes little sister and felt their relationship was portrayed very well. Even though none of these realionahips where perfect you could feel the love and how sometimes life falls apart regardless of how much you love someone. You sometimes need to do more to keep those relationships strong and healthy. 

 And okay. We need to talk about Ben because I LOVED HIM!! OMG the romance in this book was so soft and squishy and ahh I loved it!! My heart was melting and hurting and burning all at once and the whole time I just wanted to be like give in to the feels here!! We all know you have it bad for one another!! 

 I also loved how they both were artists and that allowed them to communicate with one another thought art. I personally feel really connected to art and loved the elements the author included about Skye’s artistic journey and her dreams. I loved that when she explained what a person looked like or was doing she would automatically give them a title of what she would call her art piece and what media she would draw it in. 

 On top of Skye dealing with partying and her school reputation of being the class slut you also get a lot of background on how that came to be. Skye flashes back to her moms ex boyfriend Dan and the terrible horrible things her did to her when she was younger (We do NOT like Dan. Dan is very very bad.) and it just goes to show how that secret has been weighing both on her and her relationships and presses on her so much to the point where she starts to push people away. 

 I just love the way the author portrays complex family dynamics in this book as well. I love the grey area between Skye and her Mom and how they seem to always be at each others throats when its really just unspoken words and misunderstandings creating a river between the two. I love the complexity of Skye just wanting to keep her little sister Emma safe but not quite knowing how in a house situation that is turning toxic. 

  I feel the author keeps this book very real and very raw from the start and that what makes this book so powerful and the characters so lovable even after they continue to make bad choice after bad choice. Sometimes life is uncontrollable factors, and sometimes its the bad choices we make in spite of that that causes even bigger issues and this book had me on the verge of tears at some points (which NEVER happens) as well as laughing and heart melting and ahhh this was just SO SO GOOD!! Please please please read if you guys get the chance!! 

**Thanks so much to Penguin Random House for an advanced/finished copy of this book! I greatly appreciate it!** 
(This was a bit of surprise book mail that I was not expecting which made it all the more fun!! It was so good guys!!)

So what do you guys think? Gonna add this to your TBR? Read it already? LMK what you think? Any good YA contemporary's you would recommend? LMK in the comments below! 
-BubblyBooks


4 comments:

  1. Omigosh, I'm so excited for this one now, Jamie! I had added it to my TBR, but it had been getting lost in there. After this review, I'm totally moving it up ASAP. Wonderful review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess!! Plz add it to your TBR Mandy this book surprised me in so many ways and I loved it so so much! I just felt like I connected to it and it made my heart hurt but at the same time didn’t hold back from the truth and I loved that! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I don't usually like contemporary much, either, but this one is calling my name. I love books with darker themes and lots of secrets. Plus any book that gives you the feels is worth it. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg the darker theme is what totally caught my eye with this one! I was like wait a second... I don’t usually go for contemporary but this one has me intrigued?? And yess SO. MANY. FEELS. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

I’ve Switched to Wordpress! || Ft. the link to my new blog and my many thanks to the blogging community thus far!!

Hi there! After almost three years with Blogger I’ve decided to finally make the switch to Wordpress! While I’ve enjoyed using blogger as a ...

Bloggers comment back

Bloggers Commenting Back